Who is a Marketing Technologist
Traditional marketing was all about fighting for the space to spread the word out about your brand. The marketing experts in the earlier days were more inclined towards having a strategy on being more creative in branding and generating more leads. The rise of internet penetration in everyone’s life changed the way marketing functions and also created a new skill set altogether: the Marketing Technologist. To put in simple words, Marketing Technologist is a merger of Marketer and a Techie to achieve the goals of marketing. It’s not only about being creative but also being able to convert the data into actionable insights for the next steps of marketing. Technology has brought disruption in the marketing industry. According to a report by Chiefmartech.com
“There are more than 3500 technology driven products out there in the market trying to help the businesses achieve their marketing goals. This is a growth of more than 2300% in just last 5 years.” -Scott Brinker, CEO – Chiefmartec.comA Survey from Gartner says
“The spending of CMO on technology will be more than CIO.”This is a big indicator of the level of disruption technology has brought into the world of marketing. Technology has eliminated the ‘Shot in the Dark’ approach of traditional marketing.
What should a Marketing Technologist Do?A Marketing Technologist must have a holistic approach in picking up the right tools and software products to attract, convert, delight and retain the customers. The KPI for a marketing technologist are
- Able to tie every dollar spent back to the marketing campaigns:
- Reduce the Cost of Acquisition:
Challenges of Marketing Technologist:The Digital Marketing world is changing so fast that it becomes very challenging to keep up with its pace. The major challenges faced by a marketing technologist are
- New & better technology products come every day:
- Individuals Products to have the proper Handshaking to get the right insights:
Hiring a Marketing Technologist:Every job role out there has a defined degree associated to it as a starting point of selection but there is none like that for a Marketing Technologist. We are confident that there will be soon a right education degree around Marketing Technologies. In the current scenario, It’s like a person who has an IT and Marketing degree both into his/her kitty. Following are a few important pointers to be considered while hiring a Marketing Technologist.
- Hands on experience on the technology and related products.
- Understanding of the marketing function in detail.
- Enthusiasm to always look out and spot the future trends of marketing.
- Be more agile i.e. Ability to manage multiple stakeholders, project and deadlines.
- Open to suggestions and criticism because digital marketing is all about trying – analyse – modify till you get it right for your business.